Saturday, March 1, 2008

Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Pretzels (Dog and Human Treats)


Today my lovely Tara turns 8! In celebration I wanted to make some dog-friendly and people-friendly treats. Pretzels seemed like the right way to go. I did my googling, but didn't use vegan since I thought it might be easier to veganize it myself. But, the first entry for "peanut butter prezel" was this vegan recipe. I had all of the ingredients and it seemed easy enough.

These are the ingredients I ended up using:

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
2/3 cup soy milk
3 tablespoons natural creamy peanut butter
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon vegan sugar
1 teaspoon salt

I mixed it all together, split into 2 balls, and then pinched off little bits and rolled into long chains with my hands. Since Tara is 8, I twisted them into figure 8's. They cooked 20ish minutes on 400 degrees and I took them out when they started to get brown.

I was a little worried initially about the consistency- would they be super soft? hard? Well, they came out sort of both. I may have overcooked them, which made them a little crunchy, perfect for dogbart and alright for humans. Then I nuked .5cup vegan chocolate chips for about a minute and dipped some of the pretzels into it. I put them on wax paper and placed them in the fridge to cool, about 30 minutes. These are clearly for humans only.

To make them better for dogs, you just leave them in the oven for several hours once you turn it off. They get nice and crunchy (too hard for humans), perfect for doggies. I would have taken a photo, but the camera batteries died the other day while I was taking a movie of Tara stalking a housefly.

Overall, as human treats the pretzels were not amazing. They seemed a little bland, although I could see them being good as more savory treats (herbs and cheeze, maybe). I might experiment with them again, but they're definitely not going to be used for impressing anyone.

1 comment:

Fritz said...

A late happy birthday to Tara!!! :)