Wednesday, March 12, 2008

"Cream" of Mushroom Soup

The portabellas I bought this week were calling out to me- and they wanted to become the tastiest "Cream" of Mushroom Soup ever. And I made their dreams come true.

I did a little Googling and came up with a recipe based on a recipe from The Modern Vegetarian's blog and one from Veganfood.net. My hybrid:

1 TB olive oil
1 medium/large red onion, finely chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
5 medium portabello caps, diced in large pieces
1.5 cups water
1.25 cups unsweetened soy milk
2-3TB flour

I sauteed the onion in the olive oil until soft. I added the garlic for a few minutes until fragrant and then put in the shrooms. I let it cook 2-3 minutes and added the water and some salt. As that came to a boil, I mixed the flour with the cold milk (I think to prevent clumping). Once boiling, I added the milk mixure and let it simmer for a few minutes. When it didn't thicken as I was expecting, I happily got out my immersion blennder. Scooping out about half of the chunks into a bowl, I blended the remainder in he pot until nice and smooth. I added back the chunks, stirred, and removed from heat.

It was so creamy, rich, and delicious. If you aren't a HUGE garlic lover, you can probably just use 2 cloves. It made 2 large servings at 250-300 calories a piece and could have stretched to 3 servings. I put mine on top of some barley for some extra texture. And I licked the bowl clean.

I thought about adding a cube or two of veggie boullion but wanted it "naked" first. I debated adding pepper, too, but it was just so good I was scared to mess it up.

Still no camera...but it wasn't pretty anyway- it was dark grey.

No comments: