Friday, March 21, 2008

Creamy Beer Onion Soup

Shiner Bock. I had one tonight at the movies as I watched The Unforseen, a great movie about uncontrolled growth in Austin and the environmental impact. It took me back and made me a little homesick. Especially the Shiner.




I got home and was starving, and the Shiner wouldn't leave my thoughts. The only vegetables I have left are beets and onions and the beets seem like they'll take forever to cook. Beer Onion Soup just seemed ideal.





Ingredients


  • 2 medium/large red onions, cut in thin half circles
  • Olive oil to coat the onions
  • 1 bottle beer (Shiner)
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 cup soy milk (optional)
  • Salt and pepper
Roast the onions and get the beer boiling in a pot with water. When the onions are done, add them to the beer along with salt and peper and let simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the beer reduces down by half. Blend with immersion blender to smooth out, especially if you used 2 onions. Remove from heat and mix in soy milk.





At one point while the onions were simmering in the beer, I tasted the broth and was immediaely disappointed. I probably would have cried except I'd gotten rid of all my tears once I sliced into the onions. But I added some more water and let it cook a little longer. It got better but I was still concerned. Then I added the soy milk and it was perfect. Exactly what I wanted on a cold night. I also used 2 slices of bread to soak it all up. I would have made croutons but didn't feel like turning the oven back on.

No comments: