Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Cream of Spinach Soup with Bulgur

I got home from work late after attending a less than stellar networking event/seminar on advocacy. And I decided to walk the 2 miles home without changing into my sneakers. Sometimes I'm brilliant like that. At least the event gave me time to plan dinner, which needed to be fairly easy since I was getting home late. Not too inspiring, but what can you do...




Ingredients


  • 1 TB vegan margarine (I love Earth Balance)
  • 1 medium red onion, diced or chopped into whatever size you prefer
  • 4 cloves of garlic
  • 1 bag fresh spinach, washed and chopped
  • 2 TB flour
  • 1 cup unsweetened soy milk
  • 2 cups water
  • 1.5 cubes veggie boullion
  • 1 TB Better Than Cream Cheese
  • .5 cup bulgur + 1 cup water
I followed the same process as my Cream of Mushroom Soup. I heated up the margarine and added the onions, cooking for 10 minutes until translucent. Then I added the garlic for 2 minutes and the spinach until it sarted to wilt. I added the flour and stirred for a minute or so (I evidently don't "get" how to use flour as a thickening agent), then the soy milk and water. I stirred, hoping it would thicken, and it didn't, so I assumed that would never happen and added the bouillon and cream cheese. Once it was all melted and mixed in, I removed from heat. While that was cooking I also got the bulgur going- simmering with the lid on for about 15 minutes or until the water was absorbed.

It hit the spot after a long day. And I'm too tired to think of ways to improve it. Ok, well maybe make it all milk with more cream cheese, but then I'd get fat again.

No comments: