Thursday, March 13, 2008

Deconstructed Green Bean Casserole


I blame Top Chef for me using words like "deconstructed." I don't know if what I did fits, but I'm going to pretend like it does and that I'm an amazing chef.


I thought of this recipe yesterday while making my "cream" of mushroom soup and almost couldn't wait a whole day to make it. It was pretty simple and contained 3 things:


  1. Green beans- about 3 cups trimmed on both ends and steamed.

  2. 2 cups of "cream" of mushroom soup, which was about half the recipe (though I added a little pepper)

  3. 1 large red onion, cut in half and sliced in half rings, tossed with some olive oil and roasted on 375 for 20 minutes, stirring every 5.

I put the green beans on the plate, topped with he soup, and topped with the onions. Voila!

Just what I expected- and better than the original. "Fried onions" in a can scare me and roasted onions are definitely healthier and tastier. Next time I'd add a little salt on top of the green beans and maybe cut them into smaller pieces so they fit on my spoon. Or I could use a fork...

No comments: