Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Roasted Potato Soup


More potatoes. Hooray!


I've been salivating over the idea of roasted potato soup for days. More than a week, in fact. I've decided to throw together my favorite things- taters (as Little Mommy calls them), onions, and garlic. I wedged up 2 medium taters and tossed them with .5TB olive oil. I also sliced up a red onion (both because the produce was lacking and because of my possibly false belief that it has more nutrients because it's red) and tossed with .5TB olive oil. Really, between the two I used .75TB in case you are a stickler. Then I got 6-8 cloves of garlic with paper on them. I put them on baking sheets on 375-400 and stirred every 10 minutes or so until they started to brown. The garlic went on the sheet with the onion- paper on but no oil.
Before we go any further, you may be concerned about all the garlic. Don't. I'm a huge garlic lover, and I could easily add more. When it's roasted, it becomes much milder and really soft. It's good to spread on bread. But I digress.

I then added one cube of veggie bullion to some boiling water (3ish cups) and half of the roasted veggies, blended with my immersion blender, and added in the rest of the veggies. Pretty simple. You can use any type of broth- it's really to add a little flavor and thin it out some. You may also want to add salt, but it depends on how salty the broth is you use. The whole thing makes 2 sort of small servings at about 250 calories a piece by my estimate. So I added in some couscous (I used .5 serving- 110 calories) and topped with Better Than Sour Cream.
It was exactly what I wanted. Only there's not enough.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This was absolutely wonderful! We were pleasantly surprised how simple it was. I added some cayenne pepper to give it a kick. So full...ate way too much!