Monday, April 16, 2007

"Curry" Quinoa Lentil Stoup



Let's get this out of the way from the getgo- I dislike Rachel Ray. I'm not exactly sure why, but something about her bothers me. Yet I still watch her shows. At any rate, I took the word "Stoup" from Rachel Ray for lack of a better term to describe my concoction.




I sauteed some onions and garlic in a tiny bit of olive oil (I think I may just start leaving this sentence out since it's a given). Then I added water and .5 cup lentils and let it boil for 15 minutes. I added 2 TB of Better Than Cream Cheese, which isn't but is still good, and reached into my spice cabinet for my trusty jar of curry powder only to find that it wasn't there. Apparently some jerk in my apartment, where I live alone, finished the curry and didn't buy more or tell anyone. Ugh. So I made my own "curry" with turmeric, cumin, chili powder, nutmeg, and a half a cinnamon stick. Oh, and I remembered salt this time. I also added .25 cups quinoa and let it cook for 10-15 more minutes until the quinoa was done.
I took out the cinnamon stick and let the stoup sit about 15-20 minutes to let the flavors come out, or at least that's what I envision happening, since I had to face the nor'easter and take the dog out. The apartment smelled lovely when I returned.
It was surprisingly tasty and hit the spot on such a gross, cold, rainy, crappy day. And I was too busy enjoying my dinner to crop out the shadow from the picture.

No comments: