Friday, March 2, 2007

I've Finally Done It

Not only have I conquered my fear of cooking tofu (which resulted from a very failed attempt once in college with jennilicious), but I also successfully baked polenta last night for dinner. It was amazing.

I bought some firm tofu the other day and decided I was finally ready to use it. Since I've had some sort of Indian dish with tofu and spinach, I thought I'd make something similar. So I cubed a half block of tofu (175 calories) and at first attempted to pan fry it in 1/2 TB of olive oil (60 calories), but that didn't work out so well, so I just stir fried it and after a few minutes added 2 cups of frozen chopped spinach (40 calories), about a cup or so of water, and curry powder. I also threw in 2 TB of Toffuti Better Than Cream Chese (60 calories) to make it a little creamier. I let it all simmer until it reduced down a bit- I wanted to eat it on a plate, not in a bowl.

Meanwhile, earlier in the evening I threw together some polenta (200 calories) and let it cool/congeal in the fridge for an hour or so. Then I cut it up with no rhyme or reason, some of the pieces were pretty big, and put it on a greased baking sheet in a 375 degree oven until they were golden brown on top, maybe 45 minutes? Usually I think I take it out too soon...or I do something wrong. But this time it worked out.

I put the polenta pieces on a plate after sampling one of them and topped with the spinach tofu curry mixture. For 530 calories, it was a gigantic meal and quite delicious. I can't wait to make it again. Maybe I'll add some onions, garlic, and mushrooms for some pizazz. Absolutely fantastic.

No comments: