Friday, April 4, 2008

Low-Cal Banana Muffins/Banana Bread

Since I have company in town I can actually make a lot of baked goods without fear that I'll eat them all before they have time to even cool. So I busted out an old recipe for Banana Muffins. I have no idea of its origin, but I do know that I changed it significantly from whereever I got it anyway.



Ingredients




  • 1c white all purpose flour

  • 3/4 c wheat flour

  • 2 ¼ tsp baking soda

  • 1/2tsp salt

  • 2/3c sugar

  • 1 TB ground flax mixed with 3 TB water

  • 1 TB oil, I used Enola which is allegedly not all absorbed by your body

  • 2 TB unsweetened applesauce

  • 2 TB vanilla soy milk

  • Vanilla extract, I omitted this becuase I have none

  • 2 mashed bananas, I used 2 from my freezer that I let thaw on the counter for an hour

  • 1/2c chopped nuts (pecans, walnuts, etc)

Mix the dry ingredients together in a medium bowl. Mix the wet together in a small bowl. Add the wet to the dry and mix until batter forms. Bake on 350 for 25-30 minutes if making muffins (recipe makes 12) or for 45 minutes if making bread. Each muffin has 140 calories without nuts and 175 with nuts.


The apartment definitely smelled amazing while these baked, and they turned out nicely. They were moist on the inside and had a nice crust on the outside. It seemed, though, like they could have used more salt or maybe a little more banana.

No comments: